Protocol for the acceptance of donations
To donate: “Give (money or goods) for a good cause, for example to a charity.” Oxforddictionaries.com
The donation of cultural possessions is one of the main ways by which the Museum of Aeronautics and Astronautics (hereafter MAA) can increase its collections.
By means of this document, the MAA aims to provide information about the appropriate way to donate an object under current legislation.
The procedure should be initiated as follows:
- It is recommended that initial contact is made with the museum, by telephoning 91 5091690, or by faxing 91 7106847, so that a prior assessment of the interest of the object can be carried out. The main step, however, is for the owner of the piece to make a written offer of donation that will include a detailed description of the piece, identification of the owner, and an express declaration of ownership of the property. Standard forms are available from the MAA
- If the offer is of interest to the MAA, the holder of the property may be asked to deposit the piece with the museum on a temporary basis to enable a detailed study of the object. Finally, a report will be issued about the suitability of the acceptance of the property. This will be in accordance with the scientific criteria laid down in the Museological Plan of the MAA
- The direction of the MAA will provide information about the offer and forward the documents to the Ministry of Culture for its resolution, following in this way the orders of Spanish Historical Heritage Law 16/1985, 8th additional ruling
- Depending upon the reports presented, if the offer is accepted it will proceed to the stage of Ministerial Order processing. If the offer is rejected, it will proceed to the stage of the lifting of temporary storage
- The resolution adopted will be communicated to the MAA and the interested donor
Despite the understandable wishes of many of the donors, the MAA cannot commit to exhibit all of the objects that are donated, and for this reason they will not accept donations which have conditions attached.